Sunday, June 19, 2016

Of Family and Belonging

Someone asked me, "Where do you live?"

I replied, "Whatever piece of ground I stand on, that is my home. Whatever span of sky that's above me, is my roof. Whatever air I breathe, that is my food."


I innocently stood there, hoping they'd understand.

But they laughed and giggled.


Then they asked, "Oh really? You sound like a nomad, an orphan. Who is your family? Where do you belong?"


To which I said:


"Those who I hold close to my heart, who I speak with my soul, are family. I may or may not have ties of blood with them, but my bond with them is of a different world, of the spirit, and therefore many times stronger. I don't have to see or speak with them every day to know whether they are sad or happy. And the heart of these who love me back without expecting anything from me in return are where I belong. I know them from my past lives and was separated from them; when I met them I found peace... I found Divinity. I felt complete in my incompleteness. I felt perfect in my imperfections. I felt alive."


Humans are beyond race, color, gender, nationality, and ties of blood. We are all connected in some way or the other. The relationship of humanity is above all other ties. Nurture and protect it the way you would to a small child.

No comments:

Post a Comment